Fees and Finance


In studying a Higher Education or Teacher Education course with University Centre Leeds, whether it be at our University Centre, Quarry Hill Campus, Printworks Campus, Keighley College or Harrogate College, we provide a high quality learning experience at a reasonable price. Our fees are set with this in mind.

When undertaking such a course there are a number of costs that you should make yourself aware of before starting on your chosen programme:


These are mandatory and depending on the course you chose to study the tuition fees you pay may cover but may not be limited to: 

  1. Lectures, seminars, tutorials and individual tuition
  2. Workshops, masterclasses and visiting speakers/professionals
  3. Library and computing facilities
  4. Access to practice rooms, studios and performance spaces
  5. Equipment loan
  6. Admissions and course administration
  7. Assessment, validation and graduation
  8. Support, advice and wellbeing services
  9. Careers, employability and Alumni services

We will be charging full time tuition fees of £7,950 per academic year unless otherwise stated, for 'home' students starting full-time HE programmes in 2021/22. 

Part-time HE tuition fees for 'home' students starting programmes in 2021/2022 will be £3,975 per academic year unless otherwise stated.

For those who have the potential to benefit from studying with us at the University Centre, there should be no financial barriers.


These may be optional or mandatory based on the course you apply for and are for resources that you may need to be able to study on your course such as materials for art based courses, a kit for sports based courses or a DBS for those that require a placement. For information relevant to your course please visit the relevant course page which can be found at here


Whether you will be living at home or moving away, you will be able to apply for a maintenance loan from Student Finance England (SFE) for your living costs, such as rent and bills. The amount you receive depends on your household income and where you live and study. Should you be eligible for a loan then it is paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term.

The maximum loan for living costs for 2021 entry is £9,488 per year for students living away from home and studying at a university outside of London.  The equivalent loan rate for those living in the parental home during their studies is £7,987 per year.


Travel expenses - If you plan on using public transport to get to college then you may wish to apply for a maintenance loan from Student Finance England to help to cover these costs. We would also advise that you may wish to check with the bus or train operator you would be traveling with to see if they offer any discounted tickets for students. If you require a letter confirming your student status, this can be provided once you have enrolled on to your chosen course.

Childcare - Although we condense our full time studies into just two days we understand that you may need to make alternative care arrangements for your young ones. Students on our full time courses may wish to apply for a Childcare Grant from Student Finance England. Further information can be found at


There are 3 main ways students usually pay for their tuition fees which include:

  1. A tuition fee loan from Student Finance England (sfe)
  2. Their employers fund their course
  3. Students pay for their own tuition fees

Please see the information below for further details in regards to these payment methods.


Tuition fee loans will be available to cover the full cost of tuition, regardless of household income, and this will be paid directly to the College by the Student Loans Company. As a part-time student you are also eligible for a tuition fee loan.

As a full time student, you’ll be due to start repaying your loan in the April after you finish or leave your course, but only if you’re earning over the repayment threshold.

If you’re a part-time student, you’ll be due to start repaying your loan in the April after you finish or leave your course, or the April four years after the first day of your course (even if you’re still studying), whichever comes first, but only if you’re earning over the repayment threshold.

You’ll only start making repayments when your income is over the UK repayment threshold, which is currently £26,575 a year, £2,214 a month or £511 a week (before tax and other deductions). If your income falls below the repayment threshold, repayments will stop and only re-start when your income is over the threshold.

You’ll repay 9% of your income over £511 a week, £2,214 a month or £26,575 a year. If your income changes, either rising or falling, your repayment amounts will automatically change to reflect this.

Yearly income before tax

Monthly income before tax

Monthly repayment

Up to £26,575















More information can be found at:

For information relating to fees for the 2020-21 academic year please see the Higher Education Fees & Refund Policy.

Working Out Your Budget

You can get an estimate of the amount of student finance you would be entitled to, before you actually apply, by using the Student Finance calculator at


If your employer will be paying your fees, we require a letter upon enrolment (on company letterhead) requesting an invoice for your fees with a purchase order number. This letter needs to state your name and the course fee. Our finance office can then raise an invoice from our finance system.


If you intend to pay the tuition fees yourself, we require 25% of the year’s tuition fees at enrolment in September, paid either by cash, cheque (made payable to Leeds City College) or debit/credit card. You will also need to bring your bank sort code and account number so that we can set up a direct debit for 6 consecutive monthly payments which typically start in either October or November and can be set up for either the 1st or the 16th of the month.


Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) - If you have additional support needs, there may be financial assistance available to help meet these needs whilst studying at college through the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA). The Disabled Students' Allowance is a grant to help pay for extra equipment and support that you may need as a direct result of your disability, on-going health condition, sensory impairment, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty. For further information please visit disabled students allowance.

Full Time Bursary - For students who choose to study with us on a full time basis, University Centre Leeds offers a bursary, which will be awarded to those who meet the following eligibility criteria:

  1. Your household income has been assessed by Student Finance England through a means tested assessment, falls below £42,600 and you have agreed to share this information 10 working days before the bursary payment date.
  2. You are up to date with your work.
  3. You have an attendance record of 80% or above.

 Should you meet the above criteria, the amount you may be awarded is based on your household income as follows:

Household income (as assessed by Student Finance England)

Total bursary

Semester 1 payment

Semester 2 payment

Less than £25,000




£25,001 and £42,600




The bursary does not apply to EU students who are eligible for the tuition fee loan only, or international students.

You will not need to apply separately for this bursary; you do this while applying for your financial support through Student Finance England. Please agree to a household income assessment (a means test) and ‘agree to share’ the outcome of this assessment. Everyone who contributes to the household income and forms part of the assessment needs to agree to share the outcome. The assessment is carried out by Student Finance (England) and they provide the information to the College. Failure to do this will mean that Student Finance England will be unable to assess your eligibility for a bursary. 

To qualify for the bursary you must also meet the following criteria:

  1. Minimum of 80% attendance and
  2. Be up to date with your course work

If you are successful, the amount awarded would be split into 2 payments to be paid to you, one at the end of each semester. More information on the criteria will be provided after your enrolment.

If you’re eligible to receive the college bursary, but it has been withheld because you are not up to date with work or are below the required attendance, then you may be able to appeal if you feel there are mitigating circumstances behind this. You can do so by filling in the following form.

To view our Access and Participation Plan please click here.

Please see our Student Privacy Notice, this details what information we collect from you, why we process your information and who we share the information with in line with Data Protection Legislation.