Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

The Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) provides extra financial help to UK Higher Education students. This is to meet any extra study costs, which may arise from a learning difficulty, disability and/or ongoing health condition. It is a non-repayable grant based on need, rather than income.

You can apply via your Student Finance account

The application process can take up to 14 weeks so it is best to start it as soon as possible. For more information, visit https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowance-dsa
Through DSA you may get help with the costs of:

  • Specialist equipment or computer software
  • A specialist support tutor
  • Extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability
  • Other costs, like photocopying or printing costs

Further information regarding DSA can also be found at:

http://www.yourdsa.com/ and https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/student-finance/full-time

Undergraduate 'home' fee status students, who have child or adult dependants, may be eligible for grants from Student Finance.

These are:

Childcare Grant: to help with Ofsted Registered childcare costs

Adult Dependants Grant: if you have an adult who is financially dependent on you

Parent's Learning Allowance: to help with books and equipment

Childcare Grant

You can apply for the Childcare Grant (CCG) funding alongside your main student finance application. Provide information about your children on the form but do not provide information about the childcare provider. You no longer need to send in estimates of your childcare costs, but your household income will be used to work out how much CCG you can receive.

Student Finance England (SFE) will assess your application for the grant. If successful you will be asked to register and create an account with the Childcare Grant Payment System (CCGPS) which will be used to pay funds directly to your childcare provider.

CCGPS will display your Childcare Grant award for the relevant academic year. The childcare provider will request payment on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis for childcare costs already provided (actual amounts) via CCGPS. You will be contacted each time the provider sends a request for payment.You MUST review and approve the actual childcare costs before they are released. Payment is then made to the childcare provider and taken from your Childcare Grant balance.


How much is the Childcare Grant?

The grant is means-tested on your household income and can be up to 85% of your actual childcare costs, with a cap of £188.90 per week for one child or £323.85 per week for two or more children in 2023/24

1 child

2 or more children

Household income must be this or below to receive maximum grant



Household income threshold to receive minimum grant



If you or your partner receive the childcare element of working tax credits/universal credit you will not be eligible for the Childcare Grant from SFE. Further information can be found at https://www.gov.uk/childcare-grant.

Adult Dependants' Grant

The Adult Dependants Grant of up to £3,354 in 2023/24 will be paid in three instalments over the academic year. This grant is for when you have an adult who is financially dependent on you. The dependant adult must have a net income of under £3,796* (2021/22 figure) per year to qualify. 

Income threshold for the Adult Dependant Grant*

Household income must be this or below to receive maximum grant


Household income threshold to receive minimum grant


Find out more and how to apply www.gov.uk/adult-dependants-grant.

Parents' Learning Allowance

The Parents' Learning Allowance (PLA) is a means tested grant of up to £1,915 in 2023/24 if you have one or more dependent children, regardless of the age of the children. You do not have to receive the Childcare Grant to be eligible.

The PLA is to help cover some of the additional costs incurred by students with dependent children; eg higher travel costs, books and equipment, and is paid in three instalments alongside with other maintenance support.

Household income must be this or below to receive maximum grant


Household income threshold to receive minimum grant


Find out more and how to apply at gov.uk/parents-learning-allowance.

Support available

There is financial guidance and advice available to you to ensure you feel prepared financially whilst you study. If you are struggling to understand how student finance works, you need to find out what funding you may be eligible for, or you need help to manage your money, we can help.

We can help you:

  • Apply for Student Finance.
  • Work out what you are eligible for, and ensure you receive your full entitlements.
  • Look at possible emergency help if you are in financial difficulty or struggling with cash flow.
  • Work out a budget and understand your income and expenditure.
  • We can contact Student Finance on your behalf, with your permission.

You can contact us on hestudentsupport@ucleeds.ac.uk