Teacher Training at University Centre Leeds
Looking to inspire the next generation?
Study with supportive staff with relevant industry-experience.
UC Leeds offers an array of teaching courses. So if you want to specialise in English or study a Masters in Education, there’s something to suit everybody.
University Centre Leeds aims to provide a fully immersive teaching experience, by giving you access to employment and professional development opportunities in the Education and Training sector, specifically with partner education providers across the Luminate Education Group.
In addition to hands-on experience, UC Leeds equips you with innovative teaching and learning strategies such as collaborative teaching that they can enact in classrooms, regardless of which curriculum you go on to teach.Download ITE Teaching Bursaries Leaflet
Bag a Bursary
In addition to a supportive environment and access to excellent placements, you could be eligible for a bursary. Initial Teacher Education (ITE) bursaries are available for those training to teach priority subjects in the Further Education sector. The Department of Education funded ITE bursary is separate from the Initial Teacher Training bursaries that are also available.
The ITE bursaries are available for the 2021 to 2022 academic year and will be awarded to trainees* based on their qualifications or professional experience, along with their intention to teach in the FE sector.
Please note, to receive funding you must apply for a Certificate in Education (full or part time) or a Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (full or part time) and train to teach in one of the subject areas listed below.
*Bursaries are available for eligible applicants for the following subjects on a first come, first served basis:
Mathematics - £26,000 available per person
Science (including Biology, Chemistry, and/or Physics) - £26,000 available per person
Engineering (and/or manufacturing) - £26,000 available per person
Computing - £26,000 available per person
SEN - £15,000 available per person
English - £12,000 available per person
Certain criteria applies in order to be eligible for the bursaries:
- Bursaries are for programmes starting in or after September 2021 and finishing no later than August 2022 (full-time courses) or August 2023 (part-time courses).
- You should hold minimum Level 2 qualifications in English and mathematics, and at least a Level 3 qualification in your subject of training (or have appropriate professional experience).
- You should be taking a qualifying pre-service ITE course in England.
- You should not already be in possession of a diploma in education and training (DET), DET-compliant qualification or equivalent.
- You should not already hold, or be eligible to receive, early years teacher status (EYTS), qualified teacher status (QTS) or qualified teacher learning and skills (QTLS) status.
- You should not be undertaking paid teaching work which contributes to your training when in receipt of the bursary.
- You should not be simultaneously undertaking any other ITE course, training scheme or programme that leads to a DET or DET-compliant qualification.
- You should meet other related expectations, including intending to seek an FE teaching post in England after qualification.
How to apply
Once you have applied and secured a place on one of the ITE-eligible courses, University Centre Leeds will apply for the bursary on your behalf. You may be required to provide some further details, however, we will contact you directly to obtain this after your interview.