Teacher Training at University Centre Leeds
Looking to inspire the next generation?
Study with supportive staff with relevant industry-experience.
UC Leeds offers an array of teaching courses. So, whichever subject area you are passionate about, there’s something to suit everybody.
University Centre Leeds aims to provide a fully immersive teaching experience, by giving you access to employment and professional development opportunities in the Education and Training sector, specifically with partner education providers across the Luminate Education Group.
In addition to hands-on experience, UC Leeds equips you with innovative teaching and learning strategies such as collaborative teaching that you can enact in classrooms, regardless of which curriculum you go on to teach.
Bag a Bursary
In addition to a supportive environment and access to excellent placements, you could be eligible for a bursary. Initial Teacher Education (ITE) bursaries are available for those training to teach priority subjects in the Further Education sector. The Department of Education funded ITE bursary is separate from the Initial Teacher Training bursaries that are also available.
The ITE bursaries are available for the 2023-24 academic year and will be awarded to trainees* based on their qualifications or professional experience, along with their intention to teach in the FE sector.
Initial Teacher Education bursaries are available for eligible applicants in the subjects below for courses starting in 2022-23. Potential government policy changes may impact available funding and changes are published regularly on the government website. The bursary amounts for 2023-24 will be updated once confirmed by the government.
Please note, to receive funding you must apply for a Certificate in Education or a Professional Graduate Certificate in Education and train to teach in one of the subject areas listed below.
*Bursaries are available for eligible applicants for the following subjects on a first come, first served basis:
Mathematics - £26,000 available per person
Science (including Biology, Chemistry, and/or Physics) - £26,000 available per person
Engineering (and/or manufacturing) - £26,000 available per person
Computing - £26,000 available per person
SEN - £15,000 available per person
English (capped at 100 places nationally) - £12,000 available per person
To be eligible, you must:
- be eligible to receive student support
- have achieved a standard equivalent to GCSE grade 4 (C) or above in English and mathematics, and at least a level 3 qualification in your subject of training (or have appropriate professional experience)
- be taking a qualifying pre-service ITE course in England
- not already be in possession of a diploma in education and training (DET), DET-compliant qualification or equivalent
- not have already received a full FE ITE bursary award for a previous FE ITE programme or a full FE ITE grant for a previous qualification
- not already hold, or be eligible to receive, early years teacher status (EYTS), qualified teacher status (QTS), qualified teacher learning and skills (QTLS) status or advanced teacher status (ATS)
- not receive a salary or other payment for any teaching work associated with the FE ITE programme for which you are receiving the bursary
- not be simultaneously undertaking any other ITE course, training scheme or programme, that leads to a DET or DET-compliant qualification
- not be on an apprenticeship programme
- meet other related expectations, including intending to seek an FE teaching post in England after qualification
How to apply
Once you have applied and secured a place on one of the ITE-eligible courses, University Centre Leeds will apply for the bursary on your behalf. You may be required to provide some further details, however, we will contact you directly to obtain this after your interview.