In the first year of the programme you will undertake the following three generic
- The Psychology of Teaching Learning and Assessment
- Personal Development Behaviour and Welfare in Education and Training
- Demonstrating Professional Knowledge and Competence
In the second year of the programme you will undertake three specialist modules, which may include:
- Teaching Literacy and ESOL in the Education and Training Sector: Curriculum and Cultural Context. This module gives you a grounding in the political decision-making that has shaped the current provision of English language, literacy and ESOL in the FE sector. It interrogates the impact of policy decisions and changes on the empowerment or disenfranchisement of marginalised learners in terms of their educational, social, economic and cultural capital. The module also critically explores the practice of literacy and second language programmes for native and non-native speakers living in countries outside the UK.
- English Language and Linguistics: Theoretical Frameworks. This module serves to give students an in-depth knowledge of English language and linguistics. It will focus on the fundamental attributes of English language and linguistics and interrogate the links to English language and literacy teaching. You will critically examine the way in which language change occurs in response to socio-cultural factors and advances in technology. It will situate theories of second language acquisition in the context of increased migration and multilingualism.
- The Pedagogy and Practice of Literacy and ESOL Teaching and Learning. This practice-based module will enable you to provide inclusive English, literacy and ESOL teaching and learning in a range of contexts across the Education and Training sector.